Recipe by Maine-iac
A light and very delicious meal for any time of year. The balsamic vinegar and red wine make give the recipe a special taste!
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- caraway seed, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes or 1 can diced tomato, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 ounces red wine
- 1 tablespoon ground basil
- 1 tablespoon crushed oregano
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each sausage link in 4 pieces.
- Place in microwave dish, sprinkle liberally with caraway seed, and cover.
- Microwave on high 5 minutes, stir, and continue to cook until sausage is cooked through.
- Drain liquid from sausage and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil, and sauté onion and garlic until tender.
- Add canned tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and wine.
- Add spices, stir, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add sausage, stir well, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with your favorite pasta, top with Parmesan cheese.