Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This very tasty and only five ingredients. Adapted from Fast Fix Five Ingredient cookbook.
Make and share this Italian Sausage Melt recipe from Food.com.
- 453.59 g hot Italian sausage or 453.59 g mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 green peppers or 2 yellow peppers, diced
- 354.88 ml pasta sauce, your favorite
- 354.88 ml mozzarella cheese or 354.88 ml provolone cheese, grated
- 2 panini buns, split in half
- Heat the broiler.
- Sauté sausage on medium high heat breaking them up as you go. Cook until no longer pink, about 8-10 minute.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Discard fat from pan.
- In same pan over medium heat cook peppers for 10 minutes or until brown edges form.
- Return sausage to pan along with the sauce and simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer into bowl and add 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Place the bun halves on broiler pan.
- Divide and spread the sausage mixture on the halves.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Broil until bubbling and bread is crisp.
This was good and easy to make. I used a pound and a half of sweet sausage. I then used a 14 ounce bag of frozen red and green peppers with onions. I cooked this all up and the added the sauce. I then put the mixture in the crockpot. I used mozzarella cheese. We all enjoyed these.
Got rave reviews from all members of the family. I made a mistake and added the 1/2 cup of cheese at the same time as the pasta sauce. Seemed to work ok, just made the stirring a bit sticky. I used hot italian sausage and french rolls. Thanks so much for sharing.
Easy, peazy, lemon squeezy! I used a ciabatta roll, as I had it on hand, and I skipped the peppers out of personal preference. That said, this was yummy and so easy; I did use hot italian sausage, for a little bit of heat. Thanks so much for sharing a fab recipe, Lori Mama!