1 hr 5 mins
This simple recipe was devised from a rare flash of inspiration and ingredients I had on hand. I started out making a regular pasta dinner & got sidetracked after I had made the bread and thawed the meats. I used premade basil pesto & jarred onion-garlic marinara sauce to speed this dinner along. This could be easily changed to reflect what you have to use up. *Definitely a recipe for skinny, heart healthy folks! The rest of us can only lick our chops.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage, ground
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 loaf Italian bread (or similarly textured bread)
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce, divided
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Mix meatloaf ingredients together (use your hands, it's easier).
- 3Dump meat mixture into a baking dish and pat into shape and size to fit your bread.
- 4Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven & cover with 1/2 cup pasta sauce. Return to oven & bake 20 minutes more.
- 5Cut bread into thick slices -3/4-inch or so. Slather with pesto.
- 6Slice hot meatloaf into 1/2-inch slices. (tricky but you can do it!) Place a slice on top of pesto.
- 7Mix 1/2 cup pasta sauce with cheese & spread on top of meatloaf.
- 8Put sandwiches under the broiler till bubbly & hot & bread is crispy on the edges.
- 9Serve with the rest of the sauce, heated in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- 10You will need a knife & fork!
- 11* If you really want to go for the gusto, top sandwich with a slice of mozzarella or your favorite cheese before broiling.
- 12Cooks note: As written, the number of servings is just a guess. Depends on the hollowness of the diners' legs. ;-).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage Meatloaf Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.7
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 1269.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 24.4 g