Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This simple recipe was devised from a rare flash of inspiration and ingredients I had on hand. I started out making a regular pasta dinner & got sidetracked after I had made the bread and thawed the meats. I used premade basil pesto & jarred onion-garlic marinara sauce to speed this dinner along. This could be easily changed to reflect what you have to use up. *Definitely a recipe for skinny, heart healthy folks! The rest of us can only lick our chops.
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage, ground
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 loaf Italian bread (or similarly textured bread)
- 1⁄2 cup basil pesto
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups pasta sauce, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix meatloaf ingredients together (use your hands, it's easier).
- Dump meat mixture into a baking dish and pat into shape and size to fit your bread.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven & cover with 1/2 cup pasta sauce. Return to oven & bake 20 minutes more.
- Cut bread into thick slices -3/4-inch or so. Slather with pesto.
- Slice hot meatloaf into 1/2-inch slices. (tricky but you can do it!) Place a slice on top of pesto.
- Mix 1/2 cup pasta sauce with cheese & spread on top of meatloaf.
- Put sandwiches under the broiler till bubbly & hot & bread is crispy on the edges.
- Serve with the rest of the sauce, heated in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- You will need a knife & fork!
- * If you really want to go for the gusto, top sandwich with a slice of mozzarella or your favorite cheese before broiling.
- Cooks note: As written, the number of servings is just a guess. Depends on the hollowness of the diners' legs. ;-).
I love this different twist for a meatloaf sandwich. It was a pretty simple dish to make and I liked the addition of pesto sauce to this sandwich - very unique and it goes great with the hot sausage. Thanks for sharing!