1/2 Photos of Italian Sausage Meatball Heroes
This is a true man pleaser, think of it for TV game parties. Fresh marinara sauce makes all the difference in these hearty sandwiches. Look for it near the cheeses and fresh pasta at the supermarket. I'm thinking that a mess of meatballs could be made ahead and frozen to be used as and when wanted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage (spicy or sweet, casings removed)
- 1 (24 ounce) marinara sauce, fresh, purchased, divided
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley, fresh, chopped, divided
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped, divided
- 4 French baguettes, split horizontally (5- to 6-inch-long pieces)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, packed coarselygrated whole-milk
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Mix sausage meat,1/2 cup marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons parsley, and 2 tablespoons basil in large bowl.
- 3Using wet hands, shape mixture into 8 meatballs.
- 4Bring 2 tablespoons parsley, 2 tablespoons basil, remaining marinara, and meatballs to boil in large skillet.
- 5Cover; reduce heat; simmer until meatballs are cooked through, turning often, for about 20 minutes.
- 6Place baguette bottoms on a baking sheet; spread each with about 2 tablespoons sauce from the skillet.
- 7Cut meatballs in half in skillet; overlap 4 halves on each baguette bottom. Spoon remaining sauce over meatballs.
- 8Sprinkle mozzarella over top, dividing equally.
- 9Bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- 10Sprinkle with remaining parsley and basil.
- 11Cover with baguette tops.
Browse Our Top Meatballs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage Meatball Heroes
Serving Size: 1 (419 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 883.5
- Calories from Fat 425
- Total Fat 47.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 101.6 mg
- Sodium 2858.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 43.9 g