Recipe by J Bo
This is a favorite of my father who would grow tomatos in the garden and have a huge harvest at the end of the summer. He would cook pots and pots of tomato sauce that he would freeze and we would eat all winter. Some years had more red pepper than others. One of his great desires was simmering sweet italian sausage in a tomato ragu. Great on a cool fall or winter day while watching football.
- 6 sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces chicken stock
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the sausages in a large saute pan until good and brown on each side. Remove sausage and put on a plate to catch juices.
- Drain any excess fat from the pan, do not clean pan, keep the bits on the bottom.
- Slice your onion and cook over medium heat until translucent.
- Add garlic to the onions during the last few minutes of cooking, be careful not to burn your garlic.
- Add wine to pan to deglaze.
- Add tomato sauce, chicken stock and soy sauce.
- Cut the sausage into 1/2 inch slices and add back into the pan.
- Chop parsley and add to the pan with red pepper flakes.
- Cook until gravy thickens for about 15 - 20 minutes.