Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A quick meal to throw together when you don't have time to prepare anything.
- 3 lbs mild Italian sausage, links
- enough water, to cover sausage
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 48 ounces chunky spaghetti sauce
- Place water and sausage in a skillet.
- Bring to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Place sausage without water in crock pot.
- Place onion and green pepper on top of sausage and then pour spaghetti sauce over everything.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve with your favorite bread.
I make this sort of thing regularly but hadn't thought to make it in a crockpot. I ended up putting peppers, onions, Italian hot sausage (links, frozen, no browning or anything beforehand) and some plain chopped tomatoes from a can (not even sauce) into the crockpot. I added a little garlic for flavor. Put it on high at 1pm and at 5pm the whole house smelled wonderful and everything was done. Am going to serve with some spaghetti tonight. Perfect. Love the idea of the crockpot, really should use it more, and if I don't have do do anything but put the stuff from freezer/fridge into the pot and let it go, I'm not sure it could be any easier. YUM.
We made this a few different times. Once we used hot Italian sausage and another we used a feta and spinach chicken sausage. Sometimes we use a bit less sauce than what the recipe calls for but, it still turns out wonderful! Definitely a keeper - thanks for sharing such an easy and delicious recipe the whole family loves!
I also browned the sausage after they had simmered in a little olive oil. I removed the sausage and sauted the green pepper and onion in the same skillet until they were a little soft. I then place the sausage, pepper and onion in the crock pot as directed. I had spaghetti sauce that was flavored with italian sausage, so I used that. This is a very easy recipe.