Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Usually made with crawfish but all i had was sausage. Warm, sweet, and spicy.
Make and share this Italian Sausage Etouffee recipe from Food.com.
- 6 links Italian turkey sausage
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sweet red pepper relish
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- creole seasoning
- 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- cooked rice
- Drizzle olive oil around a small pan and saute sausage with garlic.
- When the sausage is brown, add the relish and bring to a simmer.
- In a big pot, melt the butter, garlic, and a little olive oil.
- Add the flour and whisk together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the rice and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice.
I changed the recipe quite a bit, so it might have been better if I stuck to it. I just wanted to use up some sweet red pepper spread that had been in the cupboard for a few years. First of all, I hadn't ever cooked Italian sausage before, but I realized about 10 minutes into trying to saute them that they needed to be cut in order to cook evenly on the stove. I'd recommend cutting them first. I also thought it was weird to saute garlic with it sausages... it just got burnt. I did add it to the sauce though. Other than that, the flavor just wasn't what we like, but I can tell how some people might like it.