Recipe by Kate in Ontario
This recipe is part of the ready Set Cook #3 Contest. The Italian chicken sausage is full of flavour and is relatively low fat. This is great served with warm bread or rolls.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
My family and I enjoyed this delicious chili. I couldn't find Italian chicken sausages so I substituted Italian turkey sausages. The flavor was very spicy which is what we like in a chili. I did have some trouble with the directions. When you said add "veggies and garlic", I wasn't exactly sure which veggies you meant. I added the zucchini, celery, carrot, onion, and sweet red pepper since they were the only veggies not addressed in the recipe. No matter, the chili turned out great. Thanks and good luck in the contest.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb Italian chicken sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) can sweet corn
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray large pot with no-stick spray.
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Remove sausage from casings and mash with fork to break up into small pieces When almost browned, add veggies and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes-drain any visible fat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and spices.
- Bring to boil and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add corn and kidney beans and simmer another 30 minutes.