Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a lower fat, delicious, tasty, filling soup loaded with thick, chewy cheese tortellini, Italian turkey sausage and wonderful veggies ! This recipe came from Light & Tasty magazine. A meal in itself!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (UNDRAINED)
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 cups thinly sliced small zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- 1⁄2 cup canned drained red kidney beans (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chickpeas (optional) or 1⁄2 cup corn (optional) or 1⁄2 cup peas (optional) or 1⁄2 cup green beans (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- Brown Italian turkey sausage, onion, and garlic until meat is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Drain meat well.
- Add the beef broth, undrained tomatoes, carrots, celery, ketchup, and Italian Seasoning.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add zucchini, green pepper and (canned beans or peas, if using) and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tortellini and Italian parsley.
- Cook until tortellini is tender (5-7 minutes).
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and ENJOY!