Recipe by Aroostook
Great for a meal or serve as appetizers. A version of a recipe on "Calling All Cooks"
Top Review by Fairy Nuff
Yummy. I only pulled the loaves out of the oven 15 minutes ago and already half a loaf is gone - and there's only me and my son home!!! I made the recipe exactly as written - I'm glad I didn't add anything to the meat mixture because it was perfect as it was. A very yummy recipe that I will make again. Thanks Aroostook.
- 6 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 cups hot water (plus enough to make a soft dough)
- 1 package yeast, dissolved in
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk Italian sausage
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped fine
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons shortening, softened
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, 1/4 inch square chunks
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Put flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl, mix.
- Add shortening.
- Pour hot water over mix and start combining.
- Add dissolved yeast, and continue mixing.
- Add more hot water until a soft dough is formed.
- Sprinkle with more flour when the dough gets sticky.
- Continue to knead to form a grainy soft dough.
- Remove dough from bowl.
- Add olive oil to bowl and roll dough around until coated with oil.
- Place dough in a warm place to rise and cover with a clean dishcloth.
- Allow to rise until doubled.
- Cook sausage in a fry pan until almost cooked through then add beef.
- When almost browned add green onions.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let cool.
- When dough has doubled in size take 1/2 of the dough and roll to a 1-inch thick and 10-inch round circle.
- Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons of the shortening on top of the dough.
- Press 1/2 of the cheese chunks into the dough.
- Spread 1/2 the meat mixture on the dough.
- Next sprinkle 1/2 of the grated cheese on top of the meat.
- Roll the dough jelly roll style and place on a well greased cookie sheet with the end on the underside of the roll.
- Tuck ends under.
- Repeat the process for the second loaf.
- Let rise 20 to 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and brush the top of each roll with the egg.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes until browned.