Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
My DH reminded me about this recipe. It's been a long time since I've made it. It will be on the 'Nascar' menu next week end!!
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage (we like the extra spicy one)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato, packed in oil
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 -3 slices provolone cheese
- pizza sauce, for dipping (I have used left over Marinara)
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough
- For filling sauté sausage, veggies and seasonings until sausage is no longer pink and liquid has evaporated from pan.
- Add tomatoes and 1/2 cup of pizza sauce.
- Roll out bread dough to a large rectangle (stopping once in awhile to let dough rest).
- Spread filling up to 1 inch from sides of dough. Top with cheeses. Roll to a log. Seal ends (brushing water and pinching).
- Place log on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Let rest 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes (until loaf is golden brown).
- Cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- Heat left over sauce for dipping before serving.
Excellent! I used mozzarella only (all we had) and also left out the chopped tomato and it was still super good. It oozed a little out of one spot of the loaf, but did not affect the flavor! Sliced up nicely, with all the filling staying neatly "glued" to the bread with the cheese. We used spicy sausage. Will make this treat again!
Made this for Super Bowl. Yum!!! I used mozzarella cheese and parm cheese only. Next time I'll add provolone. I also used store pizza dough. I used a mixture of hot and sweet sausage.