1/5 Photos of Italian Sausage Bean and Spinach Soup
1 hr 15 mins
I strongly suggest to prepare this soup a day in advance and chill, the flavors intensify, you may adjust all amounts to taste --- this makes quite a lot of soup you may reduce amounts if desired or freeze for the next meal --- you will love this soup!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs Italian sausage (removed from casings)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and coarsley chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons dried basil (or to taste)
- 2 -3 quarts chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinced and drained (white beans)
- 2 cups large uncooked shell pasta
- 12 ounces fresh spinach (can use frozen)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper
- 1Heat olive oil in a 8-10-quart pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add in the sausage meat; cook until browned (about 8-10 minutes) remove the meat to a plate or bowl.
- 3Add in the onion, carrots, basil and dried chili flakes; saute for about 5-6 minutes adding in the garlic the last couple minutes.
- 4Add in chicken broth, tomatoes with juice and drained beans; bring to a boil, cover with lid and cook at medium-low for about 30 minutes.
- 5Add in pasta shells; reduce heat and simmer until the pasta is firm-tender (about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Skim any fat that has accumulated on top of the soup, then stir in about 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese and the fresh spinach; cook until the spinach is just wilted (about 1-2 minutes).
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Pass more Parmesan cheese at the table.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage Bean and Spinach Soup
Serving Size: 1 (5667 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1154.9
- Calories from Fat 600
- Total Fat 66.7 g
- Saturated Fat 22.3 g
- Cholesterol 121.6 mg
- Sodium 4187.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.2 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 64.9 g