Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A family favorite for many years. This soup is even better if made a day ahead to blend flavors, just rewarm on top of the stove, and serve with crusty buns. You can add in precooked pasta, any kind you desire to the soup, in place of small uncooked pasta. You can use turkey sausage in place of the Italian sausage.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups macaroni noodles (or small shells)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- Heat oil in a large heavy Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add in the sausage meat and saute breaking up with a spoon for about 5-7 minutes or until browned; drain some fat if desired.
- Add in onions, garlic, carrots, celery, basil, rosemary, red pepper flakes and sage; saute until veggies soften (about 10 minutes).
- Add in broth, tomatoes with juice and beans; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes (can simmer longer if desired).
- Add in the uncooked pasta and grated Parmesan cheese; mix to combine and simmer until the pasta is firm-tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and top with more grated Parmesan cheese.
People ask me for this recipe everytime I make it. Everyone loves this soup.
This soup was great just following the recipe wouldn't change a thing, thanks for sharing this one!
this is a keeper. it was easy and quick to put together. best of all the boys loved it!