1 hr 20 mins
A family favorite for many years. This soup is even better if made a day ahead to blend flavors, just rewarm on top of the stove, and serve with crusty buns. You can add in precooked pasta, any kind you desire to the soup, in place of small uncooked pasta. You can use turkey sausage in place of the Italian sausage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 lbs Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups macaroni noodles (or small shells)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1Heat oil in a large heavy Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Add in the sausage meat and saute breaking up with a spoon for about 5-7 minutes or until browned; drain some fat if desired.
- 3Add in onions, garlic, carrots, celery, basil, rosemary, red pepper flakes and sage; saute until veggies soften (about 10 minutes).
- 4Add in broth, tomatoes with juice and beans; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes (can simmer longer if desired).
- 5Add in the uncooked pasta and grated Parmesan cheese; mix to combine and simmer until the pasta is firm-tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- 6Season with salt and pepper.
- 7Ladle into bowls and top with more grated Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage, Bean and Macaroni Soup
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 743.5
- Calories from Fat 373
- Total Fat 41.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 69.5 mg
- Sodium 2274.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 38.8 g