Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
It's guaranteed to improve your Italian.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh Italian sausage
- 2 large onions
- 2 bell peppers (I use 1 red, 1 green)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces whole tomatoes, drained discarding liquid
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch sugar
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- Cut Italian sausage into 2" pieces.
- Bake in oven 30 minutes.
- In the meantime cut onions into 1/4 slices.
- Slice bell peppers into 1/2" slices.
- Saute onions in olive oil just until tender; set aside.
- In same skillet, saute bell pepper slices just until tender.
- Add drained tomatoes, Italian seasoning and pinch sugar to pan; stir to mix.
- Add onions and cooked sausage pieces; mix.
- Cover with foil; bake 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake additional 10-15 minutes.
- Tip: I use a black iron Dutch oven with lid not only to saute, but for the final baking process also.
I am making this tonight for the second time. My whole family enjoyed this and wanted more! Very simple to put together and then forget about while it cooks. A keeper for sure!
Great one-dish meal. Served with a salad and crusty bread. Made for 123 Hits.
This is really good, simple, and fast! Being a step-by-step recipe person, particularly for new recipes, I stumbled a little on what to bake the sausage in; I chose an 11x9 baking pan; to minimize pans, I did the sauteing in a 12" fry pan and transferred all to the 11x9 for the "final baking process". The next time, in order to use my Dutch oven with the lid, I guess I'll "set aside" the cooked/ready parts in one of my mixing bowls. Also, I broke up the whole tomatoes with my cooking spatula to make them a more consistent size with the peppers and sausage. Thanks, gailanng! This is going into my busy weekday night rotation! Made for PRMR.