A wonderful, aromatic, warm, comfort dish the whole family can enjoy. This was a recipe from another food site that I adapted to add more flavor. It is always gone in a flash. Great for potlucks and frozen meals for friends.
- 8 ounces ziti pasta (or similar pasta cooked according to package)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 12 ounces mild Italian sausage (I remove from casings)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, diced (I recommend 1 tsp but like garlic a lot so go with what you prefer)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 6 ounces sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) containersof favorite pasta sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (fresh shredded works best) or 2 tablespoons romano cheese (fresh shredded works best)
- Preheat oven to 400 F and grease 13x9-in baking dish.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Heat Oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until slightly transparent.
- Add sausage and cook stirring frequently to break up, cook until no longer pink.
- Add garlic, fennel, Italian seasoning and mushrooms.
- Stir frequently and cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Add sauce, stirring to mix, cook until sauce is heated through. Remove from heat.
- Add to prepared baking dish and sprinkle evenly with mozzarella and parmesan/romano cheese.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Cool approximately 5 Minutes.
- To freeze ahead prepare as above but do not bake.
- Cover and freeze up to 2 months.
- Thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400F and bake 25 to 35 minutes.
Made as directed with the exception of adding additional garlic. Wasn't sure if I was to add the pasta to the dish before baking or put the sauce on top of pasta after baking so I added to the sauce before and placed it all in the oven with the cheese on top. Very aromatic while baking - a nice change from traditional pasta & sauce. Thanks for submitting Snowpuma.
I used fine noodles with this recipe. The fennel is a must - it gives a special flavor. Easy to make and very tasty. I used hot Italian sausages. Cut back on the cheese (Parmesan) Very tasty comfort food dinner Thanks for posting Snowpuma