Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
My version of Rita L's Penne With Sausage in Pumpkin Sauce., Italianized and made a bit healthier. I had this tonight and it was subtle but delicious. It could be made more quickly with prepackaged or frozen squash.
- 12 ounces whole wheat pasta
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup butternut squash or 1 cup acorn squash, pureed
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup fat free chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- fresh parmesan cheese (optional)
- If you have fresh squash, cut it it half and place cut side down in a microwave safe container. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 14 minutes or until soft. Remove seeds and stringy part and then separate squash from shell. Puree the squash.
- Meanwhile, boil pasta according to package directions, then strain.
- Brown sausage in skillet with onion, garlic and olive oil. You may leave out olive oil if sausage has it's own juices.
- Add rest of ingredients, stir, and simmer for 5 minutes, then serve over pasta. Add parmesan on top, if you're feeling decadent.
Great recipe. Have done both this and the other one and both are wonderful. Would definitely do again.