1/1 Photo of Italian Sausage and Vegetables with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
1 hr 20 mins
Inspired by Mean-Chef's gorgonzola sauce recipe (only easier) and a dish I had at a great little Italian restaurant in Albany, NY.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk (skim is ok)
- 1 pint cream (light Cream or half and half is ok)
- 8 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 medium sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium bell peppers, julienned (green, red, and yellow or any combination you prefer)
- 1 1/2-2 lbs Italian sausages, cooked and cut in 1 inch pieces on the bias.
- 1 lb asparagus, cooked al dente (optional)
- 1 lb portabella mushroom, sliced and pre-sauteed (optional)
- 1 1/2 lbs penne pasta, cooked per direction on package (Mini-penne's are a good choice)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (or substitute basil and oregano)
- salt and pepper
- 1In a large sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.
- 2Add minced garlic to sauce pan cook for a few minutes but do not brown.
- 3Whisk in the flour to make reux- cook for 3 to 5 minutes whisking constantly- do not let it brown.
- 4Whisk in milk and heat until boiling- whisk often, add some fresh ground pepper.
- 5Once sauce is thickened remove from heat and set aside (well get back to the this later).
- 6In a large frying pan over medium-high heat add 3 Tbs olive oil add onions and slice the remaining garlic into pan sautee for 3 minutes until onion starts to soften.
- 7Add peppers, Italian seasoning cook for 5 minutes until Peppers begin to soften.
- 8Add cooked Sausage and warm through.
- 9Just before vegetable and meat mixture is finished- heat White sauce and stir in the cream, bring up to almost a boil and stir in parmesean and gorgonzola.
- 10Stir sauce until most of the gorgonzola is incorportated (lumps of cheese left in the sauce is a good thing!).
- 11Check cream sauce for salt add if necessary.
- 12In pasta bowls place Penne followed by Pepper onion meat mixture, then spoon on the Gorgonzola sauce, arrange mushrooms and asparagas on top.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage and Vegetables with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (800 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1516.5
- Calories from Fat 838
- Total Fat 93.2 g
- Saturated Fat 48.9 g
- Cholesterol 253.7 mg
- Sodium 2275.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 122.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.7 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 51.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: