Top Review by Kate in Ontario
Wonderful full bodied soup! I followed recipe exactly except substituted 2 stalks of celery for the zucchini(family preference). Very similar to my version recipe # 20486 except I use chicken broth and spicy clamato juice instead of the beef broth and wine.. I used extra lean Itaian spicy turkey sausage to keep the fat content down. My sons gave it 5 1/2 stars. Will be enjoying this recipe many more times. Thanks NurseDi for another great recipe!
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 large zucchini (chopped or sliced)
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 ounces cheese tortellini
- salt and pepper
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute and crumble Italian sausage until no longer pink.
- Drain sausage well on paper towels and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of drippings from saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic to saucepan.
- Saute until translucent.
- Return sausage to pan; add beef broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, wine, basil, and oregano.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender, 40-60 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook until tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.