Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Super Easy and hearty Crockpot Meal. I generally use Turkey Italian Sausage because it is less greasy.
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups beef or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes with juice, chopped (reserve juices)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- In a large nonsticke skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until browned. With a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker.
- Add onion, carrots, broth, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, tomatoes and mushrooms to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on High 3 to 4 hours or on Low 6 to 10 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain.
- Add zucchini, parsley and tortellini to slow cooker and cook on High 15 to 20 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Spoon into individual bowls and top with Parmesan.
This was very good. I added quite a bit of black pepper and it was very flavorful. It made a complete meal. I will be making this again. It did take a little extra time to get it ready to eat. Took me about 25 minutes to get this in the crockpot, and another 15 minutes to cut up the zucchini and boil the tortellini and add to the soup before we ate it. It took about 45 minutes for the zucchini to cook in the soup also. Great recipe.
This recipe is an exact recipe from Donna-Marie Pyes published book from "The best family slow cooker recipes". I agree it is excellent but credit should be given to the cook.
This is fabulous and so simple. I used two chorizo sausages which I zapped in my food processor. Doubled the mushrooms to four cups and in place of the tomato sauce I used a whole tin of tomato soup. Also used beef stock and 'Ubaldi' Mersey Valley Vintage Club Cheddar Cheese filled ravioli. Very filling soup and a keeper for us.