Recipe by Shuzbud
These flavours blend beautifully to make a lovely, robust quiche. You could use an unbaked pie shell rather than dough- this is just how I make it. If your quiche pan is tall, you may like to increase the egg and cream mixture in a ratio of 4 eggs: 1 cup cream.
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry dough (ready rolled)
- 3⁄4 lb Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3⁄4 red onion, finely diced
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Lay the sheet of pastry dough over a 9-inch quiche pan, pressing the dough gently into the crimped edges. Cut away any excess dough so the pastry is level with the top of the pan.
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork.
- In a skillet over medium heat, start to cook the italian sausage and crushed garlic. Cook for 8-10 minutes, mashing the italian sausage into small chunks with the spatula.
- Add the red onion and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Evenly spoon the italian sausage and red onion into the pastry shell.
- Scatter the cheese over the sausage mixture.
- Mix the eggs and cream together and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour carefully over the other ingredients in the pastry shell, leaving a little space for the mixture to rise slightly in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the egg mixture is cooked and set.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve hot or cold!