Recipe by Lainey39
This is a very delicious soup I like to serve as a main dish along with some Italian crusty bread.
- 2 bunches kale, torn into bite sized pieces
- 3 -4 large yukon gold potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and prepare kale and set it aside.
- In a medium stock pot, boil sliced potatoes until tender; drain and set aside.
- In large stock pot, crumble and brown the Italian sausage over medium heat; after a few minutes, add the onion and saute until sausage is nicely browned and onion is tender.
- Add garlic and saute a couple of minutes being careful not to burn.
- Drain any fat from the sausage mixture.
- Add the red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, chicken stock, milk and half and half.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste it and adjust seasonings as needed, adding the salt and black pepper.
- Add the potatoes, heavy cream and then stir in kale.
- Simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve soup with some bacon sprinkled on top, if desired.