This is a very delicious soup I like to serve as a main dish along with some Italian crusty bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 bunches kale, torn into bite sized pieces
- 3 -4 large yukon gold potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 lbs Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and chopped (optional)
- 1Wash and prepare kale and set it aside.
- 2In a medium stock pot, boil sliced potatoes until tender; drain and set aside.
- 3In large stock pot, crumble and brown the Italian sausage over medium heat; after a few minutes, add the onion and saute until sausage is nicely browned and onion is tender.
- 4Add garlic and saute a couple of minutes being careful not to burn.
- 5Drain any fat from the sausage mixture.
- 6Add the red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, chicken stock, milk and half and half.
- 7Simmer for 30 minutes.
- 8Taste it and adjust seasonings as needed, adding the salt and black pepper.
- 9Add the potatoes, heavy cream and then stir in kale.
- 10Simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- 11Serve soup with some bacon sprinkled on top, if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage and Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.0
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 77.0 mg
- Sodium 967.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 18.7 g