Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Taken from an Easy Home Cooking Magazine Dec 2005.
- 3 cups bell peppers, chunks
- 1 onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cut into 1in thick slices
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups cooked pasta
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Coat slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place bell peppers, onion and garlic on bottom.
- Arrange sausage over vegetables.
- Combine marinara sauce and wine, pour over all.
- Cover and cook 8 hrs on low heat or 4 hrs on high.
Very tasty! My crockpot seems to have turbo power so this was done in one hour on high even though I hadn't pre-cooked the sausage. Since there weren't instructions, I stirred the cornstarch at the end, to thicken the sauce, and then added the pasta to the crockpot. I used the parmesan as a garnish.
What a delicious and dead easy meal this is! I removed the sausage meat from the casings and made little meatballs which I fried first, then proceeded with the recipe as written. Since I wasn't sure when to add the cornstarch, I omitted it, which worked well for me since I added the sauce to the cooked pasta in the pot, and any extra liquid was absorbed by the pasta. I will certainly make this again.
Wonderful, absolutely wonderful. I used our own Recipe #255242 for the marinara sauce and omitted the pasta and cheese as we have sausage and peppers often 'as is' without pasta. I love the technique of slow cooking it with wine, it really mixes well with the flavors of the peppers and sausage (I used a mix of green and red bell peppers). Since I pre-cooked my sausage, I slow cooked this dish for one hour and it was perfect.