Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very easy as a main dish or as filling for a sandwich. A short list of ingredients and it cooks up quick. For a sandwich, I use the large sandwich rolls and top it off with a couple of spoonfuls of salsa, but you could try it with a slice of provolone cheese and some mustard as well.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage links, pricked with fork
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into strips (or use red bell peppers or combination of both)
- 2 large onions, cut into slices (not rings)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In a skillet, bring sausage links and water to a boil over medium heat. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook, turning sausages frequently until water has evaporated and sausages are well browned, about 20 minutes. Transfer sausages to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet. Add green peppers, onions, garlic, and salt; cook over medium heat, stirring vegetables frequently until they are tender.
- Add the cooked sausage to the peppers and onions and cook until sausages are hot again.
Very good! I used regular instead of Italian sausages and ate leftovers on buns the next day. Thanks for sharing!
I used half sweet and half hot sausage. I also added a sprinkling of oregano to the mix. I used an orange pepper instead of green. I cut the sausages in pieces and served it on kaiser rolls with the tops hollowed out some to accomodate the sausage pieces. Shredded provolone and sliced pickled banana peppers topped it off. DELISH!
My first time doing anything with Italian sausage. I used Sweet Turkey Italian sausage, and only one green pepper because that's what I had on hand. Fabulous meal. Next time I am going to do sandwiches. This will be the only recipe I use to cook Italian sausage, it's great!