Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe originally came from a book that's now lost somewhere... I've made a few adjustments for my personal taste. I don't usually like bell peppers all that much, but love this recipe -- hearty, quite healthy, and works wonderfully all year 'round! Find a local farmers' market for the freshest (and cheapest) bell peppers!
- 453.59 g sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 828.06 ml chicken broth
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 red bell peppers (seeded & chopped)
- 2 green bell peppers (seeded & chopped)
- 3 clove garlic (minced)
- 709.77 ml water
- 1.23 ml dried Italian seasoning
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 118.29 ml tiny pasta (i.e. orzo or alphabet pasta)
- Poke the sausage with a fork in several places, to keep them from exploding.
- Spray your skillet with cooking spray.
- Add sausage, and a little water.
- Cook over medium-high heat until sausages are browned, turning occasionally.
- (This will take about 15 minutes.) When they are finished, transfer sausages to a plate and allow them to cool.
- In a soup pot, combine 2 cups of broth, the onion, the peppers, and garlic.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cover and allow this to simmer about 30 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
- Remove the casings from the sausages, and slice the sausages into thin round slices.
- Add them to the pot.
- Add the remaining broth, water, oregano, boullion cubes, and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and simmer until the pasta is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls and enjoy!
Ihave been making this soup for years, my sis turned me on to it. I love it and so does my family. It' awesome on a cool Fall day or winter.With a good loaf of Itailian bread, yummmm. I also put in plum tomatos.
Excellnet recipe. This is one of those recipes that makes you look like you spent a lot of time preparing, but in reality it's quite easy to make. You'll impress your friends and relatives, and it tastes fantastic!!
LOVE this recipe...I switch different kinds of Italian sausages...always delicious