1/1 Photo of Italian Sausage and Pepper Soup
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe originally came from a book that's now lost somewhere... I've made a few adjustments for my personal taste. I don't usually like bell peppers all that much, but love this recipe -- hearty, quite healthy, and works wonderfully all year 'round! Find a local farmers' market for the freshest (and cheapest) bell peppers!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 red bell peppers (seeded & chopped)
- 2 green bell peppers (seeded & chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup tiny pasta (i.e. orzo or alphabet pasta)
- 1Poke the sausage with a fork in several places, to keep them from exploding.
- 2Spray your skillet with cooking spray.
- 3Add sausage, and a little water.
- 4Cook over medium-high heat until sausages are browned, turning occasionally.
- 5(This will take about 15 minutes.) When they are finished, transfer sausages to a plate and allow them to cool.
- 6In a soup pot, combine 2 cups of broth, the onion, the peppers, and garlic.
- 7Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 8Cover and allow this to simmer about 30 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
- 9Remove the casings from the sausages, and slice the sausages into thin round slices.
- 10Add them to the pot.
- 11Add the remaining broth, water, oregano, boullion cubes, and pepper.
- 12Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- 13Add the pasta and simmer until the pasta is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- 14Ladle into soup bowls and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage and Pepper Soup
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.7
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 40.2 mg
- Sodium 1094.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 13.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning