Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe came from the February 2005 issue of Betty Crocker Quick-to-fix Casseroles. I fixed this last night and made no changes to the recipe other than to double it (I have a large family) and it turned out wonderful!
- 1 lb Italian sausage (4 to 5 links)
- 2 medium bell peppers, coarsely chopped (any color)
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta or 1 cup rosamarina pasta
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz.)
- Heat over to 375 deg. F. Spray 11x7-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cut each sausage link into 4 pieces. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally until brown; drain.
- In baking dish, mix sausage and remaining ingredients except cheese. Cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes. Uncover and stir well. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered about 10 minutes longer or until sausage is no longer pink and orzo is tender.
I made as directed. I used Kim D's recipe #51861. I was not too keen on the strong bell pepper taste. Not the recipe's fault, of course. Bell peppers are just strong vegetables. Cook time was right on for my oven.
Wonderful - Easy - Quick! and we will for sure make this again. I had to substitute an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce for the pizza sauce, since I didn't have any pizza sauce on hand. I used a very highly spiced Italian Sausage so I feel we did not miss any of the special flavor from this simple dish. The dish turned out flavorful and the orzo tender and the cheese sprinkled over all and melted that last 10 minutes made the dish perfect. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Very tasty. Made this for dinner last night with one switch - I used seasoned tomato sauce in place of the pizza sauce, and added more orzo - so more liquid. I also added a few slices of onion. Very easy to make and very filling. Thanks!