Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a super-easy, super-quick casserole dish that I came up with last week. I used Italian turkey sausage that my husband had grilled while we were barbecuing the day before. I also used wheat rotini pasta, but I think any kind of pasta would work. The rest of the quantities are just estimates ... you could use more or less depending on your tastes. I used whole cumin, fennel, thyme, and rosemary and lightly ground them with a pestle, but you could also use pre-ground. My husband, who is not usually a casserole lover, has been raving about this ever since, and my daughter, who usually hates zucchini, cleaned her plate without even a mention of it.
- 13 1⁄2 ounces pasta (any kind)
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare pasta as directed, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- As pasta is cooking, cook Italian sausage as desired. (I like to pre-cook sausages, as they are easier to cut once they are already cooked.).
- After sausages are cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- In a large pan, saute onion, peppers, zucchini, and garlic in olive oil until opaque.
- Season with cumin, thyme, basil, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Slice sausages into bite-size pieces, then add sausages, tomatoes, and pasta to the vegetables and stir.
- Spray large casserole dish with cooking spray and transfer entire mixture into dish.
- Top with feta cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 15-20 minutes, until cheese starts to melt.
Made this recipe pretty much as written (although I did cut back on the cumin & also used lemon pepper instead of the usual S&P) & then took half of it over to a neighbor couple that I cook for on a regular basis (especially during PAC), & we are all of the same opinion ~ THIS RECIPE DEFINITELY DESERVES ALL THE STARS IT CAN GET ~ It's GREAT! Lots of different seasonings, but they all came together very well! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees at the tail end of the current PAC]