1/3 Photos of Italian Sausage And/Or Meatball Subs
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 Italian sausages
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and cubed into 1-inch squares
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and cubed into 1-inch squares
- 1 -2 cup pizza sauce (recommended 2bleu's 2 Minute 2 Easy Pizza Sauce)
- 2 italian hoagie rolls (6-inch rolls)
- 2 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced (or shredded)
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F Place one rack in center of oven, the other on the top shelf for broiling. Spray an 8x8 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Bake sausage on the center rack for 20-25 minutes till cooked thru, turning once.
- 2Meanwhile, using a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add peppers and onions, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until peppers are just soft, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add pizza sauce and continue to simmer until sausages are cooked thru.
- 4Create aluminum foil 'boats' around each opened sub roll and place on a baking sheet (keeping them intact and also in a boat shape to hold in the filling). Remove sausages from oven, and place the 'boats' into the oven to lightly toast (watch for burning!).
- 5Place the links on a cutting board and using tongs (the sausage will be hot), steady the links and cut into 1/2" slices (or you can slice lengthwise) and add to the pot of sauce, stirring to coat.
- 6When buns are toasted, remove from oven keeping the buns on the baking sheet, place the sausage mixture (reserving about 2 tbsp sauce only) on the bottom half of the bread. Top sausage mixture with provolone. To the top half, spread thinly the remaining sauce and then sprinkle generously with the mozerella cheese.
- 7Return subs to top rack of oven and broil for 1-2 minutes till cheese is melted and bubbly. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Using the foil boats to keep the sandwich together. Just pull down from one side and dive in!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage And/Or Meatball Subs
Serving Size: 1 (480 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 968.8
- Calories from Fat 547
- Total Fat 60.7 g
- Saturated Fat 25.4 g
- Cholesterol 136.7 mg
- Sodium 2683.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 51.3 g