Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
No peppers here, unless you want to add them. This is a delicious thick mixture of sausage onions and tomatoes. It is perfect for serving in sandwich rolls.
- 1⁄8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 2 sweet onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet. Add the sausages and cook over medium heat until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes.
- Remove sausages from pan onto papertowel.
- In same pan, add onions, salt, and pepper. Cook until golden brown and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning, basil, and garlic. Cook 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, stirring to coat the onions, then add the Marsala, tomatoes, and chili flakes. Stir to combine, scaping the bottom of the pan to loosen all the browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Cut the sausages into 1 inch pieces and add to the onion tomato mixture. Stir to combine and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture has thickened, about 30 minutes.
Very good! This was very easy and the result was delicious! I did serve these in sandwich rolls. It was great while watching football. Made for My Three Chefs.