Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
An easy one-dish meal. Truly comfort food.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb kale, stemmed and torn into large pieces (2 bunches)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh herb, minced (such as a combination of parsley, oregano, and basil)
- Preheat oven to 350°F; lightly butter a 2-quart gratin pan or baking dish.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat and stir in sausage; cook until browned and cooked through, 5 minutes.
- Add in the wine and cook, scraping the bottom of the pan, until it is nearly evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes; reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in the kale, a handful at a time, until it wilts and turns a bright green color (do not overcook); remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour (forms a roux), then slowly add in milk, whisking to deter any lumps.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking frequently, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook 10 minutes.
- Crumble in the goat cheese and whisk while it melts to form a smooth sauce; stir in the sausage and kale and remove from heat.
- Spoon mixture into prepared dish; sprinkle evenly with grated Parmesan, bread crumbs, and herbs (you can mix them together first if you like).
- Bake until the topping is golden-brown and the filling is bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.