Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe from my father who was from Louisiana and loved his greens with bacon! He ended up being a Navy cook during the war and served a version of this soup on his ship. I add other vegetables such as corn, green beans, squash, etc. This soup is better the second day!!
- 1 lb Italian sausage (I use turkey)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 cup bacon, ends (I use Hempler's)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cannellini beans, drained
- other vegetables (corn, green beans, etc.)
- 1⁄4 cup pasta (some small shape)
- 1 cup water (may need more)
- 2 bunches mixed greens, chopped (collards,chard,baby bok choy, etc.)
- Saute Italian sausage and fennel seeds in olive oil.
- When browned, pour into soup pot.
- Saute the bacon until brown.
- Pour into soup pot.
- In same skillet, saute onion and garlic.
- When lightly brown, pour into soup pot.
- Saute mushrooms until tender and pour into soup pot.
- Add beans to soup pot.
- Add chicken stock to soup pot.
- Add enough water to cover contents and bring to boil.
- Add pasta,cover, and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add chopped greens and more water if needed to come to about two inches below greens.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until greens are tender.
- Enjoy! - Better the second day!