Prep 4 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a quick and versatile recipe that is one of DH's favorites. I like it because it makes enough for two dinners and a lunch for the two of us. I like to serve it over polenta, but pasta or rice are great, too. It's happy in a slow cooker as well.
- 5 sweet Italian sausage links
- 3 bell peppers, cut into strips (I never use green in this)
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) candiced tomatoes, undrained (Italian style)
- 14 ounces water
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet.
- Add onions and saute for ~2 min.
- Add peppers and garlic and saute 1 min.
- Add the tomatoes with their water, fill the can with water and add that too.
- Add Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer uncovered until the sausage is cooked through (I usually cut them into thirds to speed cooking time and ease serving).
This was made using a combination of yellow and red peppers and only 4 Italian sausages. The sausages were cut into thirds. This made 2 great meals for DH and I. The first night we had this on top of cooked gluten free spaghetti. The last meal was served in toasted buns. The only thing I would change is to either use hot sausage or to add some red pepper flakes to add some zip. Made for PAC Spring 2012.