Recipe by lazyme
A quick, simple, and tasty dish from Gourmet magazine, December 1996.
Top Review by 2Bleu
This was very good and easy to make. I had about 1/2 cup of leftover peas & carrots, and added that to the pot. Also, I finished it up on the stovetop, stirring frequently. I used one whole can of tomatoes and just dumped the juice and all in for more flavor also. Thanks for sharing Lazyme. -Bird-
- 2 Italian sausages
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, 1/2-inch strips
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, 1/2-inch strips
- 1 small onion, 1/2-inch wedges
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup tomatoes, canned, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Squeeze sausage meat from casings into a 10-inch heavy ovenproof skillet and add bell peppers, onion, and oil.
- Cook mixture over moderately high heat, breaking up sausage with a fork and stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to brown.
- Add rice and saute, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in wine, tomatoes, and water and bring to a boil, stirring to loosen brown bits.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake, uncovered, 25 minutes, or until most liquid is absorbed.
- Season with salt and pepper.