Recipe by *Parsley*
Great for the stovetop or the slowcooker. Serve over linguine, spaghetti, or corkscrew noodles (or noodles of choice). Cook time is for the slowcooker. Stovetop methos would be about 40 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, only if using stovetop method
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 -16 ounces pasta, spaghetti, corkscrew, your choice
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- STOVETOP METHOD: In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add chicken pieces, onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often for about 10 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT pasta.
- Bring to a soft boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water according to package. Drain.
- Place pasta in 1 large plate or individual plates and serve saucy chicke mixture over top.
- Sprinkle w/ parmesan cheese , if desired.
- SLOWCOOKER METHOD: Place cut-up raw chicken in slowcooker. No olive oil necessary.
- Mix together all reamining ingredients EXCEPT pasta; pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours or until chicken is done. Remove the bay leaf.
- When done, boil pasta in salted water per package directions. Drain.
- Follow serving directions as written under "stovetop" directions.