Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
An authentic sauce, long process recipe, but so worth it. Rich & Hearty, everything you want in an Italian Sauce.
- 3 (28 ounce) cans Italian-style crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 yellow onion, large chopped
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- Stir fry Celery, Carrots, Green Peppers, Onion & Garlic in olive oil in large saucepan. Season with Salt & Pepper, stirring frequently for 15 minutes. You don't want to burn the garlic!
- Add the Ground Meat and brown for 15 minutes, continue stirring as you don't want this to burn. Season again with Salt and Pepper, to taste.
- Add Crushed Tomatoes, Tomato Paste,1 full can of water & Bay Leaves. Leave lid on pan until it starts to boil.
- Turn heat down still keeping at a low boil, put lid back on pan and leave just a 1/2" crack to let steam out. You have to stir sauce often so it will not stick to bottom pan.
- You will have to add 1-2 cans of water during cooking to thin sauce out. If it appears to be getting to thick, add another can of water.
- DO NOT ADD ANY WATER THE LAST 1.5 hours or sauce will be too thin and watery.
- Sauce must cook for 5-6 hours.
- I add the parsley after this has been cooked, when it is off heat and cooling down.
- *Plan to make this on a day that you will be around the home. It is labor intensive and must be babysat.
- **The serving size and time frame are guesstimates.
Pretty good sauce, but you have your user buy cans of crushed tomatoes, plus fresh tomatoes and you never provide an instruction for what to do with/when to add the fresh tomatoes.