Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a fun salad that uses the same ingredients you would in an Italian sandwich. Water chestnuts give it a nice crunch!!
- 4 -5 cups of cooked tri-color spiral pasta
- 4 slices dill pickles, chopped fine
- 1 can ripe olives or 1 can black olives, drained and halved
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced fine
- snipped chives (optional)
- 1 cup of chopped sweet pepper (green, yellow, red)
- 1 can water chestnut, slices drained & chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped ham or 1 cup pastrami or 1 cup any meat, of choice (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped cooper cheese or 1⁄2 cup any cheese, of choice (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning or 3 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- Cook pasta and set aside.
- Place onions, dill pickles, olives, water chestnuts, chives and peppers in a bowl.
- Add oil, vinegar and spices.
- Marinate for 15-20 minutes or so.
- Add pasta,tomatoes, meat and cheese and toss lightly.
- Serve cold.
This was worth more than 5*, I took it to a luncheon at work today, there was not a speck left.Everyone loved the fact that it was not the ordinary mayo laden pasta salad. There was lots of crunch with the peppers and water chestnuts; the dill pickles and black olives with the spices livened it up. I used cubed smoked chicken and cubed sharp cheddar. The only thing I did differently was to add 3 tablespoons of hot relish to give it a little bite. We all enjoyed it very much and will make it again for a large gathering; it does make a lot!! Thanks for sharing.
This was wonderful! We enjoyed this tremendously on a hot summer night. Good flavor combo.