Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a simple, quick-to-make sandwich that I threw together one morning before heading out the door to work. I rarely eat traditional breakfasts and really love things with zip, flavor, and zest; this sandwich really worked well for that! Normally, I make this kind of "Dago" with tomato sauce, but I was out of time. I'll post that varient, later.
- 4 ounces hot Italian sausages (bulk)
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- 1 ounce gruyere cheese (thinly sliced or grated)
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Form a patty from the Italian sausage no thicker than 1/2" in the rough shape of the bread. In a skillet over medium heat, fry the sausage, adding a tiny bit of oil if it is too lean. Cook for 4-6 minutes on the first side or until it turns brown, then flip over for 3-4 more minutes.
- Place the slices of roasted red pepper on the cooked side of the sausage while the raw side of the meat cooks. Cover with the cheese and continue cooking as it melts. NOTE: If the meat is done and the cheese has not yet melted, simply cover the skilled with a lid for a few moments, adding a few drops of water underneath for steam.
- On the toaster's lowest setting, lightly toast the two slices of bread. Butter one side of each toasted slice of bread and place the meat/pepper/cheese on the buttered side. NOTE: If you have toasted only one side of the bread, this should be the outside.
- Serve hot.