Recipe by Leggy Peggy
There is no need to buy salad dressing when it is so easy to make your own. This is my all-purpose Italian dressing. Because it doesn't need to be refrigerated, there is always a bottle on our dining room table. It keeps for ages.
Top Review by CraftScout
This is a great recipe to keep for those emergency "I need Italian salad dressing for a recipe" moments. I know because I had one yesterday! :) It's very basic, tasty, has enough zing to say Italian without a bunch of competing flavor to mess up your recipe. AND it doesn't have a bunch of weird chemicals like the bottled kind. Thank you so much for posting, this is definitely a keeper. Made for ZWT4.
- 1 cup vegetable oil (most other oils also work)
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar (or slightly less if you don't like sour)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry English-style mustard (hot)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 dashes Tabasco sauce, be generous. You can use cayenne instead of Tabasco (see below)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)