Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a great meal to serve to company, keeping in mind to start early in the day for roasting time. Growing up on a farm, we always had a freezer full of beef, so mom would make this ever so often when we had a bunch to feed. The flavor is so good people just keep eating and eating. It's like an Italian feast when served with bread and a green, leafy salad. I've never tried it in a Crock Pot or with a "thawed" roast - I'm too afraid it would affect the recipe somehow - but let me know if you try it either way.
- 4 -4 1⁄2 lbs rolled roast beef or 4 -4 1⁄2 lbs rump roast
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can black olives, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 -3 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb mostaccioli pasta (or your favorite) or 1 lb penne pasta (or your favorite)
- 4 -6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place frozen roast in a small to medium sized roaster or Dutch oven. Mix remaining ingredients, except for pasta & cheeses, and pour over the roast. Cover and bake for five (5) hours.
- Remove roast from oven and place roast on oven-proof serving platter; reserve pan sauce and keep warm. Top roast with mozzarella cheese and return roast to oven, uncovered, until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let sit about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain well. Mix reserved pan sauce with pasta; top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve sliced beef alongside a nice portion of pasta & sauce.