Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 mins
I posted this recipe before I made it and this is what can happen - I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS RECIPE/ It is labor intensive. Expensive because of the prosciutto and the prosiutto really does nothing for the flavor. So beware! I Like to Brine the bird for 6 hours and use Good Eats Roast Turkey by Gay Gilmore - It does give you a lovely moist bird
- 1 (16 lb) whole turkey
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 6 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 8 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- Pat the turkey dry inside and out.
- Run your hands under the skin separating it from the breast & thighs.
- Rub 3 tbsp of rosemary and 3 tablespoons of garlic under the skin over the breast & thighs.
- Arrange half of the prosciutto under the skin over the breast & thigh.
- Rub 1 tbsp rosemary & 1 tbsp garlic inside the cavity of the turkey.
- Place 3 oz of prosciutto inside the cavity.
- Cover the bird and refridgerate over night.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Rub the outside of the bird with oil.
- Place remaining garlic inside the bird , tie the legs together.
- Roast turkey for 30 minutes, reduce temp to 325F continue roastiang until thermometer reads 180 inserted into the thickest part of the thigh Apprx 3hours).
- Baste throughout the roasting time with the chicken broth, pouring a bit over at a time.
- Remove bird to a platter & tent it with foil.
- Pour the pan juices into a measuring cup, skim off the fat reserving 3 tbsps.
- Set roasting pan over medium heat, add wine, bring to a boil scraping up the brown bits , pour wine into the measuring cup with the defatted pan juices.
- In a sauce pan add the flour to the 3 tbsp of heated fat, stir until it has browned about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the pan juices, add 1/2 tsp rosemary.
- Cook until thickened apprx 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved 1 oz of Prosciutto.
- Garnish Turkey with rosemary sprigs.