1/1 Photo of Italian Roast Turkey and Gravy
I posted this recipe before I made it and this is what can happen - I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS RECIPE/ It is labor intensive. Expensive because of the prosciutto and the prosiutto really does nothing for the flavor. So beware! I Like to Brine the bird for 6 hours and use Good Eats Roast Turkey by Gay Gilmore - It does give you a lovely moist bird
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pat the turkey dry inside and out.
- 2Run your hands under the skin separating it from the breast & thighs.
- 3Rub 3 tbsp of rosemary and 3 tablespoons of garlic under the skin over the breast & thighs.
- 4Arrange half of the prosciutto under the skin over the breast & thigh.
- 5Rub 1 tbsp rosemary & 1 tbsp garlic inside the cavity of the turkey.
- 6Place 3 oz of prosciutto inside the cavity.
- 7Cover the bird and refridgerate over night.
- 8Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 9Rub the outside of the bird with oil.
- 10Place remaining garlic inside the bird , tie the legs together.
- 11Roast turkey for 30 minutes, reduce temp to 325F continue roastiang until thermometer reads 180 inserted into the thickest part of the thigh Apprx 3hours).
- 12Baste throughout the roasting time with the chicken broth, pouring a bit over at a time.
- 13Remove bird to a platter & tent it with foil.
- 14Pour the pan juices into a measuring cup, skim off the fat reserving 3 tbsps.
- 15Set roasting pan over medium heat, add wine, bring to a boil scraping up the brown bits , pour wine into the measuring cup with the defatted pan juices.
- 16In a sauce pan add the flour to the 3 tbsp of heated fat, stir until it has browned about 2 minutes.
- 17Whisk in the pan juices, add 1/2 tsp rosemary.
- 18Cook until thickened apprx 5 minutes.
- 19Add the reserved 1 oz of Prosciutto.
- 20Garnish Turkey with rosemary sprigs.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Roast Turkey and Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (755 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1535.9
- Calories from Fat 705
- Total Fat 78.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 602.0 mg
- Sodium 832.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 183.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: