Recipe by mightyro_cooking4u
From Diners, Drive-ins and Dives cookbook. Courtesy of Rosemary George, owner of the Original Vito & Nick's Pizzeria,Chicago, Ill.
- pizza dough, fresh
- 1 cup pizza sauce, your choice (Rose uses a can of Stanislaus with a bit of water)
- 2 1⁄4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (Rose actually grinds hers)
- 4 ounces roast beef, italian (very thinly sliced, rare)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees, with a pizza stone, if you have one,on the bottom rack. You wnat the stone to be very hot, so leave it in there about 45 minutes or the middle of the pizza will be mushy, says Rose. It you don't have a stone, Rose recommends using two layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil. )"You don't even need a freaking pan!").
- Stretch a premade pizza dough to make a 12-inch round. Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce on top. Scatter just a handful of mozzarella over the sauce and top that with the roast beef. Top with the remaining mozzarella and bake on a baking sheet or directly on the baking stone until the crust is crisp and the cheese bubbly, about 15 to 18 minutes.