Prep 15 mins
Cook 48 hrs
From Diners, Drive-ins and Dives cookbook. Courtesy of Rosemary George, owner of the Original Vito & Nick's Pizzeria, Chicago, Ill.
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup basil, dried
- 1⁄2 cup oregano, dried
- 1⁄2 cup garlic, granulated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 (5 -7 lb) round roast, fat cap on
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, extra-virgin
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Combine the salt, basil,oregano, granulated garlic and onion, and the black pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Trim all the fat from the beef round. Rosemary grinds the trimmings, but you can cut them up into bite-size pieces. Put the trimmings on the bottom of a roasting pan and sprinkle with some of the seasoning mix. Put the roast beef on top and coat the beef well with more of the seasoning mix. Drizzle the olive oil over the top of the roast and pat it into the seasonings.
- Roast for 11/2 to 2 hours until the internal temperature registers 130 degrees(medium-rare) on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the oven and let stand for about 20 minutes before carving.
What a lovely recipe Mightyro_cooking4u. We really enjoyed this tasty roast. It was quick and so easy to make. Loved the flavors in this roast. I did use a sirloin tip roast, it was what was on hand, I cooked it medium well, it was wonderful with boiled potatoes, peas and yorkshire puddings and gravy. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
The Italian flavor really came through in this recipe. It took my 5 lb roast a little longer to reach the temperature than stated. This cut of roast can be quite dry, so I recommend slicing it extremely thin and serving it "au jus".