Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Lemon flavored and moist, this cake is delicious with a topping of sweetened berries. From Italian Forever.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 4 large eggs
- powdered sugar, for topping
For the topping
- 3 cups blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- For the cake:.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour a 9" cake pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, lemon extract, milk, ricotta, flour and lemon zest, and beat well for 2 minutes on high speed.
- Pour into your prepared pan.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Combine the blueberries, lemon, sugar and 1/2 cup of water, and cook until thickened. Remove and cool.
- Once the cake has cooled, dust lightly with the powdered sugar.
- Serve a small slice with a spoonful of blueberry topping.
I adore the cheesecakeyness of this and whats not to love about lemon! I used 1 cup of Splenda for the sugar and that was spot on. I wondered about no baking powder but I'm so glad that I didn't give into my my doubt and just followed the recipe as written. I got a deep, moist, creamy cheesecake like (toward the center)pan of goodness. Skipped the sugar topping because Splenda just doesn't look as nice as sugar, I baked for the min time given but will cut back of that next time as the outside next to the pan was done a bit more than I would have liked. Not the recipes fault, my oven is an over achiever. Made for ZWT7.
Wowee....this was amazing. I added 2 tsp of baking powder and had to split the cake into to 8 inch pans. Also, I didn't have lemon extract, but used the juice from one lemon....cake came out light and fluffy, moist and delicious. YUM!
This was good and very dense and rich! It looked very elegant and made a great impression at a dinner party. My only complaint was that is was a tad too sweet. I will definitely decrease the sugar in the topping next time if not in the cake as well.