1/10 Photos of Italian (Ricotta) Cheesecake
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This is the recipe I have used for years to make "Italian" cheese cake. It is a wonderful, basic cheese cake which easily lends itself to "variations".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs whole milk ricotta cheese, drained
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 egg whites
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1/2-1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- graham cracker crumbs
- confectioners' sugar, for lightly sprinkling over top of cooled cake (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2Butter bottom and sides of a 12-inch springform pan.
- 3Sprinkle bottom and sides of well buttered pan with Graham cracker crumbs.
- 4In a large bowl, beat drained ricotta until very smooth.
- 5Gradually add 1 1/2 cups sugar and egg yolks, beating after each addition.
- 6Beat in flour, lemon rind, and vanilla.
- 7In a small bowl, beat cream until cream holds its shape, but is not too stiff.
- 8In a smaller bowl, beat egg whites with remaining sugar until stiff; combine with whipped cream and fold into ricotta mixture.
- 9Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- 10Bake for 10 minutes.
- 11Lower oven temperature to 350°F and bake 1 hour.
- 12Turn off heat and allow cake to cool in oven with door closed (about 3-4 hours).
- 13Remove cooled cake from oven, carefully remove sides of pan, store cake (well wrapped) in refrigerator.
- 14Before serving, lightly sprinkle top of cake with Confectioner's (powdered, 10X) sugar.
- 15Cake may be served chilled or at room temperature.
- 16Note: Center of cheese cake will be lower than the sides when it is cooled.
- 17This is not a defect!
- 18It is supposed to be this way (makes it easier to hold the topping if you choose to use one).
- 19VARIATIONS: Add raisins, chopped citron or chopped maraschino cherries to the batter.
- 20Top cheese cake with crushed sugared strawberries or cherries before serving.
- 21Cover bottom of crumbed pan with drained, sweetened crushed pineapple, applesauce or sliced apples before adding batter to pan.
- 22Pie crust pastry may be used instead of Graham crumbs to line pan.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian (Ricotta) Cheesecake
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.0
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 182.1 mg
- Sodium 141.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 33.8 g
- Protein 17.5 g