Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
ricciarelli...musetti....a almond paste cookie, from Tuscany.
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups unblanched whole almonds, grind fine
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- Combine almonds and 1/4 to 1/2 of the sugar in a food processor and grind until very very fine meal.
- In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Now beat in the sugar slowly using a tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff glossy peaks. (but not dry peaks).
- Fold in the almond/sugar fine meal mixture.
- Fold in the orange juice and the zest.
- Using a teaspoon drop onto parchment lined baking sheet, and form into an oval or log, about one to two inches long. Keeping these at least three inches apart.
- Let sit on the counter for one hour to dry.
- Bake 300 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until firm to touch. Do not brown.
- Let the cookies remain on the baking sheets to cool completely, then remove.
- Dust with confectioners powdered sugar.
- These can be made and frozen in plastic baggies for up to one to two months, then dust.