Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook6 hrs 5 mins
This makes a great deal of sauce but it freezes very well and can be used in any way you would use a red sauce. The Italian ham makes all the difference in the taste. Also, for those who have made sauce and it has been "acidy" I have never had this problem with the imported tomatoes. Every time I make a batch, I give some to friends. They all love it. It also works very well with
- Place olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add garlic and simmer about one minute, do not let it brown.
- Put tomatoes in blender and blend briefly to smooth out the tomatoes.
- Then add to garlic.
- Cut Italian ham in chunks.
- When I order this from the Deli, I have them cut it in 1/2 lb slab.
- Add basil and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Let simmer about 6 hours.
- I always check the richness of the sauce by putting a spoonful in a clean bowl, let it sit for about 5 minutes and if water is seperating from the sauce, continue to simmer.