Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this one from Cucina (yet again) but I have great reasons to post this recipe. Why dont you give it a try and see for yourselves. This quiche freezes really well so you might want to make another quiche and freeze it for another great meal or just in case you get asked for more.
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup medium cheddar, coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 small zucchini, sliced (one green,one yellow)
- 1 cup fresh spinach, squeezed dry and chopped
- 1 pre-baked 9 inch pie shell
- 3 bocconcini, sliced
- 3 Italian plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 4 fresh basil leaves, snipped
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Place eggs, cream, salt, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, dried oregano, basil and cheddar cheese in a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Saute the onions, garlic, zucchini and spinach.
- Arrange the bocconcini cheese slices, tomato slices and sauteed vegetables in the bottom of the pie shell.
- Pour egg mixture over the vegetables.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with snipped basil leaves and toasted pine nuts.
- Serve hot with green salad.