Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Got this from a Carnation Evaporated Milk can. I have adapted slightly for my family's taste. One of my favorite Fall meals.
Top Review by Gracie in NM
My family and I enjoyed this. I made it for breakfast this past weekend. Had a very hearty and robust flavor that suited our tastes. I took the leftovers to work today for my lunch. Caused quite a stir at the office. The wonderful smell attracted my co-workers attention. I let them have a sample and they were frothing at the mouth. Thank you for posting this recipe.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb Italian bread, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, onion, peppers, and garlic in oil; crumble sausage into pieces.
- Cook until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Combine bread, cheese, and sausage mixture in a large bowl.
- Mix together milk, pumpkin, eggs, salt, pepper, and seasonings.
- Pour over bread mixture and stir gently until bread is moistened.
- Pour into a greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm.