Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Caution! This is quite addictive. I made this wonderful peasant style recipe tonight with some changes from the original. This is my adapted version.
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender and drain in a colander reserving 1/4 cup of liquid.
- Let potatoes steam 3 minutes, shaking once, then remove to a serving dish.
- While potatoes are cooking, place oil, garlic and red pepper flakes in a small skillet and cook slowly over low heat until garlic is lightly browned.
- When potatoes are ready, cook spinach according to package directions.
- Add spinach, garlic-pepper oil (and some reserved liquid if needed) to potatoes, toss, season with salt and pepper and serve at once.
I made this for dinner tonight with steak on the grill. I added the potatoes to the skillet after the garlic browned and mixed it up and let the potatoes brown. The family loved it. This is also a great vegetarian meal. Thanks!
It never crossed my mind to put spinach with potatoes. I always mixed string beans or zucchini with my potatoes. Anyway I gave this a try and really enjoyed the mixture. Due to my laziness I added the garlic to the potato water and due to taste left out the pepper flakes and it still turned out great. My husband put butter on his potion. Thanks for sharing.
I agree this can be addictive! The potatoes were cooked and dried as per recipe. I used baby spinach which was coarsely chopped and added to the pan the potatoes were cooked in along with the garlic and just a touch red pepper flakes. The water from the washed spinach was used for cooking. After the potatoes were added back in everything was seasoned with a touch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. The finished product was drizzled lightly with a high quality olive oil. This was served with meatloaf for a wonderful meal.