Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Caution! This is quite addictive. I made this wonderful peasant style recipe tonight with some changes from the original. This is my adapted version.
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 (9 ounce) packagemicrowavable package fresh spinach
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender and drain in a colander reserving 1/4 cup of liquid.
- Let potatoes steam 3 minutes, shaking once, then remove to a serving dish.
- While potatoes are cooking, place oil, garlic and red pepper flakes in a small skillet and cook slowly over low heat until garlic is lightly browned.
- When potatoes are ready, cook spinach according to package directions.
- Add spinach, garlic-pepper oil (and some reserved liquid if needed) to potatoes, toss, season with salt and pepper and serve at once.
I made this for dinner tonight with steak on the grill. I added the potatoes to the skillet after the garlic browned and mixed it up and let the potatoes brown. The family loved it. This is also a great vegetarian meal. Thanks!
My Italian mom used to make this all the time when we were growing up. Thanks for the recipe. I wasn't quite sure how she made it. Now I know!
It never crossed my mind to put spinach with potatoes. I always mixed string beans or zucchini with my potatoes. Anyway I gave this a try and really enjoyed the mixture. Due to my laziness I added the garlic to the potato water and due to taste left out the pepper flakes and it still turned out great. My husband put butter on his potion. Thanks for sharing.